This is April. This is comfort food. This is simple. This weeks recipe is more of a play how you want kind of thing. We had four sauces at the ready, but honestly, between the scotch, beer, and hungry studio audience we had to just eat.
Brought my long-time IRL friend POW!WILSON! in this week as a guest cook and he was a complete gem to have in-stream. So thanks to him for that.
We ALMOST hit 300 follows in the stream and I couldn’t be happier to see the bearded family growing. See you next week, when I’m going to have a little more gourmet (but still really comfort-foody) plate for you all.
DISH: Hot wings w/ homemade blue cheese.
SIDE: Fried Pickles
PAIRING: Lasanta Glenmorangie and Stella Artois beer
Take wings and completely submerge in garlic and buttermilk. Marinate 4-24 hours. Fry or par-bake wings as desired. Cover in desired sauce. Bake wings for approximately 10 minutes @ 350° F. Enjoy.
GARLIC PARMESAN SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Mix butter, Parmesan cheese, garlic power, onion salt, and black pepper together in a bowl.
PAPPA BEREN’S SPECIAL WING SAUCE
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup Frank’s Hot Sauce
- 1 cup Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce
- 3 tsp curry powder.
- Warm curry in melted butter on medium stove top for approximately 3 minutes. Add bbq and hot sauce, warm to light simmer.
BLUE CHEESE SAUCE
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup crumbled Maytag or other blue cheese (about 3 ounces), divided
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, 1/4 cup blue cheese, half and half, sour cream, lemon juice, Worcestershire, and salt, until smooth. Gently stir in the remaining 1/4 cup blue cheese and season with pepper to taste. Use now or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Pickle spears
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
Remove any excess liquid from pickles by blotting on paper towel.
Place flour in a plastic ziptop bag and add pickles, shake well to coat.
Beat Egg in a bowl.
Place Bread Crumbs in a second ziptop bag.
Take 1 floured pickle and dip into egg. Shake lightly to remove excess egg and place in Bread Crumbs. Shake Bag.
Repeat for all pickles.
Fry until golden brown.